Иммиграция, обучение и жизнь в австралии

Оценка шансов Объявления ASPC-timeline Дневники Проекты Реклама Вакансии

Ответ

LinkBack Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 08.03.2006, 13:41   #126 (permalink)

No Avatar

Из: Мельбурн

Цитата:
Сообщение от Chyslyvchyk
Hey, guys! As mentioned in the first message of this topic This topic is for communication in English only. Comments in Russian are not appreciated.
My bad .

Cheers!
hukilai вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 08.03.2006, 17:11   #127 (permalink)

Из: Melbourne

Цитата:
Сообщение от hukilai
My bad .

Cheers!
I've found interesting explanations of the phrase My bad. The best ones:
1) A way of admitting a mistake, and apologizing for that mistake, without actually apologizing.
2) A combination of an apology and a dismissal. Basically, saying "oh yeah, I did that, but I don't care".
Chyslyvchyk вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 09.03.2006, 08:02   #128 (permalink)

No Avatar

I have to admit, it is pretty close to what I meant .
Старый 12.03.2006, 20:24   #129 (permalink)

Из: Sydney, Cronulla

Hello everybody,
I’ve just written this small message for searching new contacts in Skype. I like that service very much, because it’s very helpful for improving speaking skills and meeting new people from different cultures.
Could you please check this message and tell me your suggestions about it. May be it is too official?

My name is Ksaniya, Ksyusha in short and I live in Ukraine.
A plenty of my time is devoted to my work. I am a web-designer and have to know a lot about web technologies, programming languages and graphics. By the way, I chose that profession because it is not boring and needs permanent studying.
Besides building web pages I love cooking, playing the guitar and spending time with my friends. I love travelling as well, and enjoy active rest, for example swimming and cycling.
Now I am spending a lot of hours improving my English. It should be said that I studied English for 10 years in school but have forgotten much of it. To my mind, I am relatively fluent in it after a half of a year of preparation for IELTS exam (thanks to wonderful teacher, my husband, helpful friends from around the world and lots of work), but I still have many aspects to improve upon. I have been told that my pronunciation is rather good, but I try to learn more words and expressions to let me communicate effectively with native English-speakers.
If you want to know more about me, my homeland, customs of my nation and so on, feel free to call me.

Ksaniya вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 12.03.2006, 21:07   #130 (permalink)

Цитата:
Сообщение от hukilai
Что мы видим здесь? Во-первых, что значения слов схожи, т.к. оба обозначают процесс получения знаний/умений. Но случае study акцент делается именно на сам процесс, а в learn - на результат этого процесса.
Not a long time ago our english teacher (he's British) explained us the difference between these two words. The difference is : they use "study" for complicated matter, for example "Advanced-level students study English" whereas "learn" is used about something simple to learn like "beginer-level students learn English"

Therefore we all here study English while puples in schools learn it
sergey_pr вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 13.03.2006, 08:25   #131 (permalink)

No Avatar

sergey_pr,

The most likely your British bloke was (over)simplifying the issue.
Старый 14.03.2006, 00:28   #132 (permalink)

don't you believe native speaker ? Anyway, tomorrow will ask him to explain it again without simplifying
sergey_pr вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 14.03.2006, 09:39   #133 (permalink)

No Avatar

I do believe him, and the way he uses the words is just fine. I meant that the words have more than one meaning...
Старый 18.03.2006, 09:06   #134 (permalink)

Из: Sydney Belmore

Цитата:
Сообщение от lely
This is the story about a man who cannot get his life in order...
I found an error with using an article. I think the word 'truth' is always used with the article 'the'. Example - Tell me the truth.

Here is my opinion on your article.

It is kind of shaky. I think if you write a story then you pursue some goal. Usually you want either entertain people or teach them. The story is certainly not entertaining. There is nothing interesting in loser’s life. You are saying that it is a matter of choice. Well I haven’t found the choice. The person has ruined his life. So what choices does he have? Go to jail or get a job and start working? What kind of job can he get? It looks like he has no education. He also committed crime by stealing a car. Anyone will be fired for stealing. So nobody will hire him after that. But the most important problem he has that he doesn’t care about his life or lives of his relatives and friends. So what is the lesson of your article? Not to be bad? Everyone knows it.

I think the better article will be if you show people how to become happy and successful. It will be more entertaining and certainly worth reading.
Старый 18.03.2006, 09:36   #135 (permalink)

Цитата:
Сообщение от RaJ
Let us examine a situation, when computers replace teachers. In such a case there will be...
Hey man! I wonder if you've seen 'The Matrix' yet.
Старый 15.04.2006, 13:42   #136 (permalink)

No Avatar

Из: Vladivostok

Цитата:

It is kind of shaky.
hi, thanks for the comments. Just to make thing clear I'm presenting the following requirements to ANY written assignment in our class. All assignments are based exclusively on assigned stories from the textbook (“The Writer’s Path”) which itself is the collection of naturalistic stories (Chekhov, Ross, Ford, Rooke and alike). Naturalism, by definition, is the belief that life is shaped by factors beyond individual control. These factors are featured in fiction – because writers write about what they know. All these stories are about crooks, losers, infidelity, self-deception, illusions etc. That’s the life they know.

Цитата:
I think if you write a story then you pursue some goal.
only one - to get good mark and pass this course ASAP.

Цитата:
So what is the lesson of your article? Not to be bad? Everyone knows it.
that is the question you have to ask the authors of these stories, not me.

Цитата:
I think the better article will be if you show people how to become happy and successful. It will be more entertaining and certainly worth reading
I didn’t have such a point as to entertain people. This is all about format, thesis with three parts, employing parallel construction, structure, logical and natural orders in each paragraph etc. That’s what they teach us in this course. That simple.
Thanks for helping with article. Sorry if it made you suffer .
There are more, though. Look for structure first.
[/code]
Старый 15.04.2006, 13:43   #137 (permalink)

No Avatar

Цитата:

It is kind of shaky.
hi, thanks for the comments. Just to make thing clear I'm presenting the following requirements to ANY written assignment in our class. All assignments are based exclusively on assigned stories from the textbook (“The Writer’s Path”) which itself is the collection of naturalistic stories (Chekhov, Ross, Ford, Rooke and alike). Naturalism, by definition, is the belief that life is shaped by factors beyond individual control. These factors are featured in fiction – because writers write about what they know. All these stories are about crooks, losers, infidelity, self-deception, illusions etc. That’s the life they know.

Цитата:
I think if you write a story then you pursue some goal.
only one - to get good mark and pass this course ASAP.

Цитата:
So what is the lesson of your article? Not to be bad? Everyone knows it.
that is the question you have to ask the authors of these stories, not me.

Цитата:
I think the better article will be if you show people how to become happy and successful. It will be more entertaining and certainly worth reading
I didn’t have such a point as to entertain people. This is all about format, thesis with three parts, employing parallel construction, structure, logical and natural orders in each paragraph etc. That’s what they teach us in this course. That simple.
Thanks for helping with article. Sorry if it made you suffer .
There are more, though. Look for structure first.
Старый 15.04.2006, 13:45   #138 (permalink)

No Avatar

How is “The Bolt of White Cloth” the opposite of “Genesis 3”?

This is the story about a family that a stranger who sells white cloth visits one day. He is not a usual peddler and it is not a regular cloth. Whoever possesses it acknowledges the “true happiness”, but only if proven worthy. This extraordinary characteristic of cloth and unusual details in appearance of the peddler make this story a fable, somewhat associated with biblical “Genesis 3”. However, this story is the opposite of “Genesis 3” because the man and his wife are blessed with the world they live in and the work they do, because they are cursed by not being able to have children, and because their life ultimately is transformed and enhanced by white cloth.
First of all, unlike “Genesis 3”, the man and his wife in “The Bolt of White Cloth” do not perceive their earthy life as a burden or punishment. They live and work, as all simple countryside folks do: the man takes care of his animals, does some maintenance and repair housework while his wife cleans, washes, cooks, and does everything else to make their home cozy and comfortable to live in. They seem quite contented with the world around. Moreover, the woman admits that she loves “practically everything”; there is nothing she hates, and not much she is “indifferent to” (Rooke 690). In addition, her husband takes some comfort and relaxation while feeding his animals and talking with them as if they understand him.

Next, fertility with which God curses Eve in “Genesis 3” would bring a great deal of happiness to the family in “The Bolt of White Cloth”. In fact, it could make them completely happy, but for some reason they are not able to have children. When a stranger unexpectedly asks the man and his wife if they have kids, the world around gets darker; they edge closer and grope for each other’s hand as if looking for some support. That means that inability to conceive a child is a real curse for them, though they learn the way to live with that “little misfortune” (Rooke 692).

What makes the major reverse between “Genesis 3” and “The Bolt of White Cloth” is the fact that unlike biblical “fruit”, the white cloth miraculously transforms the couple’s existence not into the life of hostility, shame, and regret, but into the total opposite: “innocence without heartbreak”. Through suffering and love, the man and his wife come to happiness and love. Now they are in a world without time and gravitation, a world so perfect, so beautiful and “radiant” that it is almost “holy” (Rooke 697).

People suffer a lot and there is a love in the world. But what makes family in “The Bolt of White Cloth” so special and opposite to “Genesis 3”’s couple is that their love makes the world around them bright and delightful, free of fear and guilt; love helps them to overcome the sorrow of childlessness, and transforms their world into a new and improved one.
Старый 15.04.2006, 13:46   #139 (permalink)

No Avatar

Motivations of the main female characters in “The Painted Door” and “The Lady with the Pet Dog”.

“The Painted Door” and “The Lady with the Pet Dog” are the stories that correspond in a variety of ways. These stories are about love and betrayal, romance and drama, illusion and regret. Both stories are centered on infidelity and narrate a time in the life of two women, two Anns. But there are particular similarities in what lead main female characters in “The Painted Door” and “The Lady with the Pet Dog” to commit an adultery: they are both unsatisfied with their lives, they are suffering from suffocating marriages, and they are creatures of contradictions.
First, female protagonists in both stories are unhappy with their lifestyle. In “The Painted Door” Ann suffers from loneliness and dull existence with her husband on the farm, located in a largely uninhabited and desolate area. She tries to keep herself occupied during the absence of John. The exaggerated precision in the way Ann proceeds with chores illustrates her efforts to distract herself from dwelling on negative aspects of her life. In “The Lady with the Pet Dog” Anna Sergeevna’s city plays a similar harsh role in her life. The dullness and boredom of unnamed provincial town, cheap gray blankets in the best room of the local hotel, bad orchestra in the theatre, and the long gray fence with nail opposite her house, that “would make one run away” – all this depressing environment confines Anna in unhappiness (Chekchov 214). The extreme bleakness of the surroundings in both stories makes the circumstances of adultery understandable and almost predictable.
Second, the women in both stories feel that they are trapped inside their current relationships. In “The Painted Door” Ann considers her husband as a good man. Nevertheless, she feels resentful toward John for his permanent absence and lack of emotions. She does not realize her husband’s utter devotion for her and instead feels neglected by him. Ann does not want his “sacrifice”, she needs his “companionship”. Likewise, Anna Sergeevna in “The Lady with the Pet Dog” reveals that her husband “may be a good, honest man, but he is a flunkey!”. She is not even sure what his work is-- and is amused by her own ignorance. This means she has neither respect nor interest in him at all. Thus, both women are in desperate need for love, comfort, and physical relationships.
Third, both female characters want to be honest and pure, but they also crave for excitement and adventure. Ann in “The Painted Door” feels appreciation and irritation at the same time toward her husband. She is afraid for his life because of the blizzard and wants him to come back. Yet she is dreading it because she wants to be with Steven. In the same way, Anna Sergeevna wants to keep living in accordance with the social standards of her time and at the same moment “tormented by curiosity” to find another, beautiful and exiting life. She even fakes an illness to flee on a holiday to the Black Sea resort. So, both women are inconsistent in what they want out of life. This divergence creates a good ground for committing adultery.
Looking for escape from their lives, the women in both stories are doomed on not being able to find it. Love cannot be built on deception and impulsive betrayal. Although both stories have different endings, the motives that lead the main female characters to even more unhappiness are very similar: deadly boring environments, loveless marriages, and internal personal conflicts.
Старый 15.04.2006, 13:55   #140 (permalink)

No Avatar

Look at the structure. It's perfect. They don’t like elaborated writing. Content doesn’t matter at all. It just should make sense. What they look at is structure. Some people get it too late .
Старый 15.04.2006, 22:54   #141 (permalink)

No Avatar

Lely,

It is none of my business, but why do you post your stfuff here? Are you trying to brag or what?

Anyway, you demonstrate a pretty good vocabulary, I am impressed, and I mean it.

If I remember it correctly, you are still in a college, Is that kind of writing a norm in your school or you are somewhat special?
Старый 19.04.2006, 12:27   #142 (permalink)

No Avatar

Цитата:
Сообщение от hukilai
Lely,

It is none of my business, but why do you post your stfuff here? Are you trying to brag or what??
what 's the poin to brag, as far as i know there is a place where people can find smth useful to learn, at least that's what i got some time ago, I could send my essays to guys who make money out of it, instead i share my skills and knowlege for free and there you are asking tricky questions Am I the first one to post good essays on this forum? Lets make them all to apologise in advance...
I think, knowing how to build an essay that satisfies any hardmarker is a very useful skill, you have kind of skeleton - you can develop any idea based on this simple skeleton. I even underlined all transitional words, thesis, conclusions etc for people to get the point. I wish everybody would brag this way, it could make life much easier.

Цитата:
If I remember it correctly, you are still in a college, Is that kind of writing a norm in your school or you are somewhat special?
it's pretty normal, the course name is The Introduction in the Short Story, next course i take is The Women's Writing (I assumed that all authors will be female type or maybe gays). I wish I could have the same professor next semester, he's picky but at least i'm getting some value out of his classes.
Старый 21.04.2006, 21:22   #143 (permalink)

My point was that the plot is more important than structure. Yes, you can learn how to design a story, but without a plot it is worthless (may be good for the mark, though depends on the teacher).

When you have a plot then it is easy to organize the structure because you know the story, you like it and other people will like it. So you just follow your heart with passion and enthusiasm.

It is always easy to see if the person loves what he is doing or he is doing it because he has to. In art the results will be deadly opposite.

PS I understand your point of view being a student and concentrating on exams. It is always easier to go through life with small steps, so you do not get confused. We even don't have the ability to look further because we have neither experience nor knowledge.
Старый 12.05.2006, 21:16   #144 (permalink)

No Avatar

По умолчанию Re: для общения на английском

Цитата:
Сообщение от Змий
Цитата:
Сообщение от Abor Mot
Ok, let's have... Question is: as I understood in the neighbor topic with my example, "smoked women" mean that somebody smoked her? Right way probable: "smoking women", how to say in a past tense about the permanently smoking women?
If I understand your question correct you have to use "used to" in this sentence/
Only my opinion:
1. I was explained by the native English speaker that "Smoking woman" has dual meaning (most of people use the expression to say that the woman is HOT), using it in the IELTS exam would be not wise. You sould rather say: "she has (had, has had, or had had) a habit smoking"
2. About using word "amount" or "number". As far as I know: number is for countable nouns and amount is for not countable nouns.
Tanuxa вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 09.06.2006, 05:20   #145 (permalink)

No Avatar

Hi, Everybody

I decided to present here my personal data for contacting me if you want to have talks only in English. I'm trying to find acceptable English courses with real Americans or Englishmen to have a talking practise. I could not find anything.

May be this way will be more useful and I'll get such practise or I will help somebody else.

Here my cantacts are:
Name: Alexander

You can also send offline messages. I'll answer and we'll be able to communicate in English. We could talk about everything from private life to job and profession interests. I suppose it'll be very interesing...

I'm not advanced in English and almost I don't have talking experence. Don't take it ill, please.

Thanks

Найди своё
alexlexa вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 16.06.2006, 17:19   #146 (permalink)

Let me give you a piece of advice - look for English speaking missioners in your hometown (such as Jehovah’s Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists and etc.). You will learn Bible as well which is a good book.
Старый 29.06.2006, 05:31   #147 (permalink)

Из: около-Сиднейск / Австралия

Hi.
It seems the theme is withering, so I've taken the burden to reviatalize it.

I know we can't compare education process or any sort of personal practice with examination. Taking exams is a risky business where many factors depend on your luck, stars, comets and other funny words. And yet, looking at programs and IELTS preparation booklets found on sandheap, I wondered how close those task had been to real exam.. real tasks on exam.. and even, how close the quality of sound files in practice tests was to real examination.
It's not just a quesiton, it's not for fun, 'coz I'm thinking of taking IELTS on August 12 and really don't have free time to go through preparation courses that are in abundance in Moscow, so I just wanna know what to expect there... when I come to British Council test room...

Any suggestions? Some experience? Your words are always precious.
Balamut5 вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 08.08.2006, 20:23   #148 (permalink)

Looking backwards I would say that this exam is just a small step on the ladder. When you are over it you will forget about it and start thinking about other things, like getting a job, being promoted, buying a house and etc.
Старый 09.08.2006, 13:39   #149 (permalink)

Из: около-Сиднейск / Австралия

Цитата:
Сообщение от just a human
Looking backwards I would say that this exam is just a small step on the ladder. When you are over it you will forget about it and start thinking about other things, like getting a job, being promoted, buying a house and etc.
Absolutely agree. I didn't spend much time on preparation before, yet now I'm more concerned about the exam logic and what can be expected.
Nonetheless, English study is a constant neverending process for non-native speakers and the extent of your study will depend on your social life, career, etc. Many Russian people who live abroad either mainly communicate to other Russian-speaking or they are not required to speak good English at work. In my case it's different and good command of English is f..ingly essential.
Balamut5 вне форума   Ответить с цитированием
Старый 23.10.2006, 13:19   #150 (permalink)

No Avatar

Lely,
Are there any new essays from your new course? . By the way, gays are not female, they are ... gays.

Balamut5,
I think you cannot say f*ing essential, it is like, you know ... f*ing pregnant.

All,
Let's keep the topic going...
Ответ

Закладки

Тэги
analysis, countable, essays, mistakes, present, this, topic, worried