Помогите найти ошибки IELTS General Writing task 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Время
  • Show
Clear All

• Помогите найти ошибки IELTS General Writing task 1

Привет всем знатокам английского и таким же как я!

Я самостоятельно готовлюсь к IELTS и написал ( уже во второй раз, первый раз был давно и всё было очень плохо) письмо. Пожалуйста, кто в теме, могли бы Вы указать на возможные недочёты и на какой балл, по вашему мнению, может претендовать сие творение. Заранее всем спасибо за участие и потраченное время.

Задание формулируется примерно так (взято отсюда http://www.gday.ru/forum/34859-post2.html) :

You have to make a project and need to write a letter to a local museum. In your letter you should explain:
    - why are you writing to the museum?
    - describe your project
    - what information do you need for your project?

Само письмо:

Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am a student at the City University. I am writing to ask you if you would be so kind to help me in finding information on Mr. Ferris, who designed and took part in the building of the City Bridge.

At the university I enrolled in Local History course for which I have to prepare a project on any local historical topic of my favour. After careful consideration I decided to make a project showing that our city had a prominent citizen who played an essential role in developing appearance of the city.

I know that your eminent museum hold evidences not only of numerous local events but also of multiple persons related to our city. I am interested in any materials of any form your museum can share with me with regard to Mr. Ferris. I would greatly appreciate if you could provide any photo of him. Moreover, in case you would be so generous and supply me with copies of Mr. Ferris' speeches it could be a great help.

I must apologize for taking up your valuable time and I hope that my request will not inconvenience you too much. I look forward to your prompt response.

Yours faithfully,
    Vasily Pupkin.

Сообщение от Полбублика Посмотреть сообщение
    Привет всем знатокам английского и таким же как я!

Я самостоятельно готовлюсь к IELTS и написал ( уже во второй раз, первый раз был давно и всё было очень плохо) письмо. Пожалуйста, кто в теме, могли бы Вы указать на возможные недочёты и на какой балл, по вашему мнению, может претендовать сие творение. Заранее всем спасибо за участие и потраченное время.

Задание формулируется примерно так (взято отсюда http://www.gday.ru/forum/34859-post2.html) :

You have to make a project and need to write a letter to a local museum. In your letter you should explain:
    - why are you writing to the museum?
    - describe your project
    - what information do you need for your project?
    нескольких сотен пособий по подготовке к IELTS Вы ухитрились 'выловить' самую популярную тему
    Amazing!

Comment

Сообщение от Maimiti_Isabella Посмотреть сообщение
      нескольких сотен пособий по подготовке к IELTS Вы ухитрились 'выловить' самую популярную тему
      Amazing!
      Не поверите, но эта тема - первое, что попалось под руку А вы не могли бы прокомментировать сам текст в моём изложении?

Comment

Dear Sir/Madam,
        I am a student at the City University. I am writing to ask you if you would be so kind as to help me in finding information on Mr. Ferris, who designed and took part in the building of the City Bridge.

At the university I enrolled (why past tense? -> I'm enrolled) into the Local History course for which I have to prepare a project on any local historical topic of my favour (->choice). After careful consideration I decided to make a project showing (???) that our city had a prominent citizen who played an essential role in the developing appearance (-> development of the city/contributed to the development of the city) of the city.

I know that your eminent (???) museum holds evidences (sing. only) not only of (->on/about) numerous local events but also of
        (->on/about) multiple (->many) persons (->people) related to our city. I am interested in any materials (sing. only) of any form (cross out) your museum can share with me with regard to Mr. Ferris. I would also greatly appreciate if you could provide any photo of him. Moreover, in case you would be so generous and supply me with copies of Mr. Ferris' speeches it could be a great help. (re-phrase)

I must apologize (->I am sorry/I apploligise/I appologize) for taking up your valuable (cross out) time and I hope that my request will not inconvenience you too much. I look forward to your prompt response.

Yours faithfully,
        Vasily Pupkin.
        Not bad, though some of the words are obviously out of place and some are misused. There are only a couple of grammar mistakes and you followed the followed the letter layout and the language is appropriate in terms of the level of formality. I'd say this letter will fetch 6 or 6.5

PS pls note, I only comment on the writings where topics are taken from reputable IELTS preparation publications, e.g. books and trustworthy sites, such as www.ielts.org

Comment

Не поверите, но эта тема - первое, что попалось под руку
          Не верю

Comment

Maimiti_Isabella
            Thank you very very much for your valuable tips! You don't believe me though =(.

Since for me it is rather difficult to distinct between different letter levels (6, 7 or even higher), could you please advise me what can/should I do or what I have missed to get at least 7 for the letter (putting aside all the grammatical issues of course)? As an alternative if you don't want to waste time on this matter could you please at least note a trustworthy source that explains distinction between letter features for band 6 and band 7?

Comment

Maimiti_Isabella
              Thank you very very much for your valuable tips! You don't believe me though =(.

Since for me it is rather difficult to distinct between different letter levels (6, 7 or even higher), could you please advise me what can/should I do or what I have missed to get at least 7 for the letter (putting aside all the grammatical issues of course)? As an alternative if you don't want to waste time on this matter could you please at least note a trustworthy source that explains distinction between letter features for band 6 and band 7?
              It's not easy to evaluate a letter; essays are much more open to interpretation and assessment.

There's really nothing you can do from the point of view of structure and letter organisation as everything in this department seems to be top-notch

It's really your English skills you need to work on. However, as I've already mentioned, I'm not very comfortable with putting a score on a letter. So, I'd rather have a look at your essay before making any further comments.

But then again, this letter was rather formal. What if the task is to write an informal letter (a letter to a friend or a classmate)? These are much more difficult to write for Russian speakers.

I don't know of any source that would give you reliable information on band 6 vs. band 7, except for the official IELTS site. Please note, for a learner of English it's very difficult to distinguish the difference. But the main things are the same: organisation of your writing, vocab., grammar and sentence structure. The higher you go the more sophisticated they get. Very simple really
              Last edited by Maimiti_Isabella; 29.07.2010, 18:53.

Comment

Maimiti_Isabella
                Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Cool essay observation)) Realy great!

Comment

Working...
                  X