Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Время
  • Show
Clear All

• English Tutor for Hire

Hi everyone!
    My name is Craig, I'm an English guy living in Newcastle Upon Tyne, in the UK.

I have been an English tutor for about 18 months, and I'm loving it!

My students come to me for conversational practice and reading/pronunciation practice.

If you'd like to book some sessions with me, I'd love to hear from you: please contact me to see my website for other student's feedback and details of how to book a session with me.

I charge a very reasonable £8.25 per hour (about $12.00 per hour) which compared to the $100.00 per hour in Moscow, is hopefully encouraging to you.

All of my lessons are given online, using Skype with a video camera. (If you're shy, you don't need to turn your camera on!)

Thank you!
    I hope to hear from you soon.
    Craig

Привет всем!
    Меня зовут Крейг, я английский парень, живущий в Ньюкасл-апон-Тайн, в Великобритании.
    Я был преподавателем английского в течение примерно 18 месяцев, и мне нравится преподавать!
    Мои студенты приходят ко мне за разговорной практикой и практикой чтения / произношения.
    Если Вы хотите заказать несколько сессий со мной, я был бы рад Вас слышать: пожалуйста, свяжитесь со мной, чтобы увидеть мой сайт, где можно посмотреть отзывы студентов и детали того, как забронировать мое занятие.
    Я беру £ 8,25 в час (около $ 12,00 в час), что по сравнению с $ 100,00 в час в Москве немного, надеюсь, это Вас мотивирует на занятия со мной.
    Спасибо!
    Я надеюсь услышать Вас скоро.
    Крейг
    Last edited by Craig; 28.06.2013, 02:26. Причина: Additional info

Making £8.25 / hour full-time means annual income of £16500. Where is the catch?
    ACS: Lodged 27.06.2013, Stage 2 30.06.2013, Stage 4 12.07.2013, Finalized 13.11.2013.

Comment

Catch?
      I don't understand why you said that to me.

Unless you're talking about people in Moscow charging $100 an hour for the same thing.

I only know about that because of my Russian students, and anyone who pays $100 an hour for conversational/pronunciation/reading lessons, has been ripped off.

Badly.

There isn't a catch, I'm an English tutor and this is what I charge.

Help me to spread the word if you can, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Craig

Comment

In England, if I was working in an office, as I used to do before I started to give English lessons, I'd be getting roughly the same money, so I thought I'd charge what was a normal regional rate.
        I know some people charge more, I know some people charge less, but I thought that this price would attract customers.

Comment

Сообщение от Craig Посмотреть сообщение
          In England, if I was working in an office, as I used to do before I started to give English lessons, I'd be getting roughly the same money, so I thought I'd charge what was a normal regional rate.
          I know some people charge more, I know some people charge less, but I thought that this price would attract customers.
          Craig, I'm not trying to insult you in any way, please, don't misunderstand me. Russians are always skeptical when it comes to the price, especially when someone claims that they are ready to work for a wage that could barely cover living expenses

I think it could be interesting to hear a little bit more about your services. Can you give us an insight on format of your lessons?
          ACS: Lodged 27.06.2013, Stage 2 30.06.2013, Stage 4 12.07.2013, Finalized 13.11.2013.

Comment

Сообщение от nom Посмотреть сообщение
            Craig, I'm not trying to insult you in any way, please, don't misunderstand me. Russians are always skeptical when it comes to the price, especially when someone claims that they are ready to work for a wage that could barely cover living expenses

I think it could be interesting to hear a little bit more about your services. Can you give us an insight on format of your lessons?
            Hi,
            I'm not insulted but thanks for explaining. I can understand your reaction but I currently live at home, so I don't really have many living expenses.

My lessons are conversational lessons, and reading lessons. People come to me to practice what they already know and I "iron out" (make better) their mistakes.

I correct people's pronunciation with care and patience.

I'm not sure if I can put a link in here, but I'll try.

Oh it won't let me, I'll try to message you
            Thanks

Craig

Comment

Tutors in Moscow rarely charge something more than 30 bucks an hour. Your figures are total bs.
              Небеса голубого цвета, а ад - красного.

Comment

Сообщение от 1927 Посмотреть сообщение
                Tutors in Moscow rarely charge something more than 30 bucks an hour. Your figures are total bs.
                Well, a Russian in Moscow gave them to me, blame him.

Anyway it's not particularly important what people in Moscow charge, what's important is that people see me, and they know what I charge.

"30 bucks" is about £20.00, so I'm still cheaper.

You can enlighten someone without saying their information is "bullshit", it would cause less offence.

Comment

Without bs it would look lame, wouldn't it? This way it looks like he/she denounced you.
                  Last edited by Vanderley; 03.07.2013, 20:37.

Comment

Сообщение от Vanderley Посмотреть сообщение
                    Without bs it would've looked lame, wouldn't it? This way it looks like he/she denounced you.
                    Well, it depends on how you read it, text is always open to interpretation.

The other question is, which image of himself does he project?

"I'd like to point out, as a person who lives in Moscow, that the "going rate" for English lessons is no more than $30.00.
                    This is still significantly more expensive than your rates, but I thought you'd like to know".

Makes you warm to a person.

"What you say is bullshit"

Makes you recoil from the person and feel hostile.

Also, it's good to ask questions, "as I have experience of what you've mentioned, can I ask you where you got your figures from?"

Would get the reply, "One of my students from Moscow told me that tutors charge $70 or more for face to face lessons".

"Your figures are bullshit" makes one sound like a buffoon hehe

Comment

I have a question on a more relevant topic. What's your education? Anything in English/pedagogy?

Comment

Сообщение от Vanderley Посмотреть сообщение
                        I have a question on a more relevant topic. What's your education? Anything in English/pedagogy?
                        That's a good question

I don't have any formal training in English.

I found a site called italki (dot com, links aren't allowed) and I began to help people, correcting their English and helping them to read English words properly over Skype.

In time, people said I should be a teacher as they thought I was very good, having a talent for explaining things to people in ways which were clear and easy to understand.

Ever since then, I've been giving English lessons on Skype, the lessons usually consist of either conversational practise, so the student uses their vocabulary and learns new things.

I also take great care to teach people how to pronounce words properly, as this is one of the biggest problems with learning English, the words don't help students to pronounce them properly.

How would you pronounce "live"? It's contextual.

"I saw them play live" sounds like hive or strive.
                        "Does he live in England?" sounds like give or conductive.

Some students bring work to me that they want to follow, be it a PDF on collocations, or their own work (I've had astro physicists bring me their presentations, a Javascript programmer bringing me his. All sorts of things).

I made my own website, it's called english-with-craig (dot co dot uk) and you can see a sample video of a lesson there.

I need to change it because I was nervous when I made it, and I've had much better lessons with people.

Thanks for your question.

Comment

Working...
                        X