Объявление

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My essay, проверьте, покритикуйте! Спасибо!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Время
  • Show
Clear All

• То Lesha, grand merci!!!
    Ждемс оценки других знатаков

Вот ещо одно произведение искуства, так сказать.

Letter: You have a friend who lives in a city abroad. You have decided that you would like to visit this city. Write to your friend explaining what you would like to do when you arrive. Ask your friend to help with accommodation and give all the relevant details considering your trip.

My dear Jane,

How are you? I hope that you and the children are fine.

As you know, I have been planning a trip to Gold Coast for some time and yesterday I decided that I have had enough of the stress and rush of the London business life. I am escaping to Gold Coast, where I can enjoy the sun and the sandy beaches all day long without being bothered by anyone.

Also, I thought I could fulfill one of my childhood dreams and go on a whale watch. Besides, I have always wanted to dive in a pool with sharks. I have heard that you can do that at the Sea World, so maybe we will do that together knowing you thrill for adventure.

Well, as you cans see, I have big plans but not a place to stay yet. I would really appreciate if you could help me find a nice studio apartment or even a room in a hostel will do just fine. Nothing too fancy, but it would be nice to have a clean place with some sort of kitchen and, most importantly, not too far from the beach.

Last, but not least, I have already booked my ticket and will be arriving in 3 weeks. I plan to spend about 7 days in Gold Coast, so I hope we will have plenty of time to catch up on all the gossip.

Thanks again for your help with the accommodation.

Big hugs and take care,

Comment

• Павел, громадное спасибо тебе. Очень много ценных, полезных комментариев, очень признателен за твое время и время того нейтива, с которым вы раскуривали косяк Пожалуйста, передай и ему мою искреннюю благодарность.

Если позволишь, пару уточняющих моментов, как обычно

1. Правильно лия понял, что красным цветом выделено то, на что надо заменить конкретные куски из моего эссе, а серым цветом желательные (опциональные) изменения?

2. Вопрос по конкретному моменту "Other contributing factors include inattention (неудачное слово) of society to their less lucky members (было весело; не нужно их так характеризовать, это discrimination).... "
      То есть less lucky, less fortunate - фразы точно и определенно не корректные по отношению к людям с определенными физическими(умственными) недостатками? Это я к тому, что где-то, по-моему даже в заднии IELTS'ового эссе, видел точную формулировку "the less fortunate memeber of society" именно в таком контексте. В любом случае, буду осторожнее оперировать такиими характеристиками. Спасибо.

3. Вот здесь "By doing this, the government will prevent the construction of inappropriately designed buildings, like hospitals, trading centers, offices and other places ....."
      непонятно почему добавили the к government -> "the government" и construction -> "the construction", ведь до этого мы говорили о правительстве, в общем, не конкретном правительстве (нигде не было the), и возведение зданий - это тоже не конкретное возведение, а в принципе (мы не знаем где и когда будет возведение, и будут ли вообще такие изменения в законодательстве). То есть, с одной стороны, можно поставить the, поскольку мы уже упоминали ранее construction, с другой стороны - тот construction, который мы упоминали не конкретный, а наше видение того, чтоб было бы, если.... Надеюсь, получилось не очень запутанно

И такой же вопрос по этому моменту "If such measure were taken, the people would feel their responsibility and be (become more) willing to change the situation." - определенный артикль добавили, потому что это те люди на которых мы уже опробовали новую кампанию, и поэтому они стали конкретными? Но, это все же воображаемая ситуация (если бы...) и люди - это в общем люди, не конкретные?

Еще раз хочу сказать громадное спасибо. Пойду детально изучать, и пожалуй, перепишу это эссе заново, с учетом всех рекомендаций (выкладывать не буду .

Comment

• Сообщение от gburanov Посмотреть сообщение
        Спасибо, учту на будущее

Я верно понял, что красным подчеркнуты слова, которые нежелательно использовать, типа "of course", "moreover" итд?

Все таки, какую оценку ожидать в пределах погрешности?

Буду готовиться дальше =)
        Красным - то, что в данном месте совершенно не используется или просто неверно. Нащет оценки - извиняйте Понятия не имею. Но работать еще надо.
        I have two degrees, a husband and a Burberry coat

Comment

• Сообщение от lyly Посмотреть сообщение
          Essay question: Many parents choose the future for their children. They support them financially and direct them in life, sometimes ignoring the real desires and abilities of a child. Should parents decide on the future of their chidlren or is it the child who has to make the decision? Give reasons for your answer.

----
          Do we decide for our children and thus shield them from many troubles (разрыв смысла; of the life) or do we watch from a close distance as they make their own decisions and go through with them (a bit clumsy), be them good or bad? This is probably one of the most important and tricky questions a parents have to find an answer to (ask themselves).
          --> я бы предложил задавать вопрос в стиле: Do we have to...... or .....? Нежели: Do we... or...? В-первом случе: Должны ли мы... или...? Во-втором: Делаем мы ..... или .....?

Firstly, parents spend a big part of their life with their children. They nurture them and take care of them, thus getting to know their children better than anyone around them (else). As children grow, it is (these are the) parents who witness (неудачное слово, может быть notice?) and discover childrens' likes or (and) dislikes, strengths and weaknesses. /разрыв смысла; например, and thus, they are in better position to advise the children in their decision making/ In addition (лучше сказать: Let alone), a parents always wants what is the best for their children and can direct him towards a better option when the time to decide comes (mindful about negative results).

Furthermore, it is undeniable that parents’ life experience is invaluable. /построение немного неудачно; пример, parents have extensive life experience which is invaluable./ Having gone through different situations in their livesfe and having had to make many of the decisions their children face (clumsy; and having had to make decisions in the similar situations their children are now), parents become one of the most important persons tool children can turn to for advice when they themselves are faced with a big decision.

Nevertheless /не в тему слово; вариант: On the other hand/, since it is the child’s future, many would argue that the decision-making should be left up to him them. /many would argue that......., since it will affect their own life and future/
          ---
          мы не знаем пол ребенка, поэтому left up to them; а не him.

So what do us as parents do in the end? /бррр... So, what parents have to do in the end?/ Well, pretty much (avoid in formal speech) the same thing generations of parents as many generations of parents have done did before prior to us. We have to support our children, offer them the best options to choose from and ultimately hope that our parenting efforts will help our children make the best decision for him them.
          В результате я узнал, что у тебя есть один ребенок и это мальчик
          Однако в рамках эссе лучше писать children и необязательно причислять себя к родителям, т.е. parents have to нежели we parants have to. Это так промеждупрочим

Comment

• Сообщение от Lesha Посмотреть сообщение
            Павел, громадное спасибо тебе. Очень много ценных, полезных комментариев, очень признателен за твое время и время того нейтива, с которым вы раскуривали косяк Пожалуйста, передай и ему мою искреннюю благодарность.
            ей передам, это женщина была

Сообщение от Lesha Посмотреть сообщение
            1. Правильно лия понял, что красным цветом выделено то, на что надо заменить конкретные куски из моего эссе, а серым цветом желательные (опциональные) изменения?
            Красным мои вставки в текст и комменты. Сереньким то, что нужно убрать из текста, так как это не надо. Просто в редакторе нету зачеркивания букв или я еще не нашел как это сделать. Например, .. hardly changed for better - это не подходит для данного конкретного контекста.

2. Вопрос по конкретному моменту "Other contributing factors include inattention (неудачное слово) of society to their less lucky members (было весело; не нужно их так характеризовать, это discrimination).... "
            То есть less lucky, less fortunate - фразы точно и определенно не корректные по отношению к людям с определенными физическими(умственными) недостатками? Это я к тому, что где-то, по-моему даже в заднии IELTS'ового эссе, видел точную формулировку "the less fortunate memeber of society" именно в таком контексте. В любом случае, буду осторожнее оперировать такиими характеристиками. Спасибо.
            Да, это некорректные варианты, в смысле если я в разговоре с ними скажу что-нибудь типа: Oh, sorry dude, it's so unfortunate that so many buses are not equipped to assist such less lucky members of society as you. Вообщем это будет жуткая обида НО! нас этот вариант очень порадовал. Если серьезно, то инвалиды предпочитают чтобы их считали нормальными и полноценными членами общества и они серьезно воюют за равные права. Снисходительные интонации в их отношении не приветствуются. Т.е. если общаешься с ними, то нужно общаться как с равными. Они просто люди с ограниченными возможностями, но ни в коем случае, не менее удачливые члены общества или люди, которым не повезло по жизни.

3. Вот здесь "By doing this, the government will prevent the construction of inappropriately designed buildings, like hospitals, trading centers, offices and other places ....."
            непонятно почему добавили the к government -> "the government" и construction -> "the construction", ведь до этого мы говорили о правительстве, в общем, не конкретном правительстве (нигде не было the), и возведение зданий - это тоже не конкретное возведение, а в принципе (мы не знаем где и когда будет возведение, и будут ли вообще такие изменения в законодательстве). То есть, с одной стороны, можно поставить the, поскольку мы уже упоминали ранее construction, с другой стороны - тот construction, который мы упоминали не конкретный, а наше видение того, чтоб было бы, если.... Надеюсь, получилось не очень запутанно
            The support for disabled people is a task of any government. The government has to provide... and develop... Артикли странная вещь, некоторые вещи тяжело объяснить, мне именно показалось что артикль в данному случае должен стоять. Но я могу ведь и ошибаться. В данном случае мы ввели слово government и потом повторяем его, поэтому the.

И такой же вопрос по этому моменту "If such measure were taken, the people would feel their responsibility and be (become more) willing to change the situation." - определенный артикль добавили, потому что это те люди на которых мы уже опробовали новую кампанию, и поэтому они стали конкретными? Но, это все же воображаемая ситуация (если бы...) и люди - это в общем люди, не конкретные?
            То же самое, мы направили пропаганду на людей (any) и теперь ожидаем от них (the) определенных действий. Хотя артикли - это дремучий лес.

Еще раз хочу сказать громадное спасибо. Пойду детально изучать, и пожалуй, перепишу это эссе заново, с учетом всех рекомендаций (выкладывать не буду .
            Угу, а то мы вредные и чего-нить обязательно найдем

Comment

• To Balamut5, thanks for your critique. I appreciate it.

But let me disagree with you on some corrections.

1. You wouldn't call your parents tool right?
              2. Parents search for answers to the question: to nterffere or not into their chidlren's life, they don't just ask themselves and that's it.
              3.Then to witness something has a more long-lasting meaning. Notice is like saying I noticed you changed your hair style today . Whereas parents watch their chidlren change and go through different metamorphoses in their ddevelopment.

А за все остольное спасибо .

ПС. девочка

Comment

ОЧЕНЬ хорошее письмо, хороший английский, нафига проверять спрашивается, поэтому будем прикалываться

Letter: You have a friend who lives in a city abroad. You have decided that you would like to visit this city. Write to your friend explaining what you would like to do when you arrive. Ask your friend to help with accommodation and give all the relevant details considering your trip.

My dear Jane,

As you know, I have been planning a trip to Gold Coast for some time and yesterday I decided that I have had enough of the stress and rush of the London business life. I am escaping to Gold Coast, where I can enjoy the sun and the sandy beaches all day long without being bothered by anyone.
                //in informal speech, you can go like ...I've been planning... ...I've got enough..
                //..and yesterday I decided that I had got (или had) enough... past terms
                //эмоциональный ввод и далее можно сказать: I am escaping to Gold Coast! I will enjoy....

Also, I thought I could fulfill one of my childhood dreams and go on a whale watch. Besides, I have always wanted to dive in a pool with sharks. I have heard that you can do that at the Sea World, so maybe we will do that together knowing your thrill for adventure.
                //better to say: Also, I think I can...
                //...and go whale watching
                //лучше в Western Australia, там можно с большими белыми акулами купаться, те не кусают, глотают целиком

Well, as you cans see, I have big plans but not a place to stay yet. I would really appreciate if you could help me find a nice studio apartment or even a room in a hostel, it will do go just fine. Nothing too fancy, but it would be nice to have a clean place with some sort of kitchen and, most importantly, it should be not too far from the beach.
                //if you say 'sort of.. ', then put kitchenette (small kitchen), rather than fully blown kitchen with all the frills to enjoy

Last, but not least, I have already booked my ticket and will be arriving in 3 weeks. I plan to spend about 7 days in Gold Coast, so I hope we will have plenty of time to catch up on all the gossip.
                //I would actually put some date, it gives more details to your correspondent. So: I have already boked... and will be arriving on ... of ......

Big hugs and take care,

Comment

But let me disagree with you on some corrections.

1. You wouldn't call your parents tool right?
                  2. Parents search for answers to the question: to nterffere or not into their chidlren's life, they don't just ask themselves and that's it.
                  3.Then to witness something has a more long-lasting meaning. Notice is like saying I noticed you changed your hair style today . Whereas parents watch their chidlren change and go through different metamorphoses in their ddevelopment.
                  1. Я долго думал какое бы слово вставить, в итоге остановился на слове tool, которое так же может означать справочник или руководство, средство достижения цели. Это как слово device, которое ни один айтишник не будет использовать в значении метод, методика, способ.

2. Parents search for answers to the question: to interfere or not into their chidlren's life, they don't just ask themselves and that's it.
                  --это о чем?
                  Суть вопроса эссе была: Многие родители выбирают будущее для своих детей. Они поддерживают их материально и направляют их по жизни, иногда игнорируя собственно желания и возможности своих детей. Должны ли родители принимать решение о будущем своих детей или детям следуют принимать свои собственные решения.

Твое эссе было о том, что родители более опытны и знают лучше что нужно их детям сейчас. Разницу между вопросом и ответом заметила?

---Лично я бы построил эссе вот так
                  Представить позицию о том, что родители толкают детей заниматься музыкой или языками, а еще отправляют их в разные кружки потому что им кажется что это будет классно и замечательно и это то, о чем родители сами мечтали в детстве и всегда хотели быть (папа боксер - сын должен быть боксером или родители медики, поэтому у ребенка обязана быть медицинская карьера), но по факту они не обращают внимание на то, что детям данная активность не особено-то и нравится, да и данных у ребенка нету к этим активностям. В результате это может привести к конфликту в семье и потери той самой intimacy в отношениях между ребенком и родителями. У ребенка может развиться ощущение, что родители его просто не слышат и не понимают.
                  Далее, что родители безусловно умные и через многое прошли, однако они и дети - это различные люди и они не могут знать кем именно их ребенок хочет быть, если они не спрашивают его и не интересуются его мнением и желаниями. Поэтому я бы хотел видеть родителей более ответственными и внимательными к интересам ребенка и собственно поддерживать ребенка на их собственном пути развития.
                  ---------

3. to witness имхо не имеет значения, которое ты указываешь.
                  1) to testify to : attest
                  2)to act as legal witness of
                  3) to furnish proof of : betoken
                  4) a : to have personal or direct cognizance of : see for oneself <witnessed the historic event> b : to take note of <our grammar— witness our verb system—is a marvel of flexibility, variety, and exactitude — Charlton Laird>
                  5) to constitute the scene or time of <structures…which this striking Dorset hilltop once witnessedTimes Literary Supplement>
                  source: Webster web dictionary

Вместо to notice можно использовать to note.

Comment

• To: lyly

Нашел, ты видимо имела ввиду вот эту фразу?

So what do us as parents do in the end?
                    Эта фраза построена некорректно, это не английский. Если нужно сказать: "Итак, что же мы родители делаем в итоге", то тогда это будет "So, what do we parents actually do after all?"

Comment

• А вот я придерусь
                      Да, с запятыми какая-то мистика у вас - то они есть, там где надо, а то их нет вообще
                      Сообщение от lyly Посмотреть сообщение
                      Вот ещо одно произведение искуства, так сказать.

My dear Jane,

As you know, I have been planning a trip to ->the, здесь и далее. Ведь мы говорим о конкретном месте? Gold Coast for some time and yesterday I decided that I have had enough of the stress and rush of the London business life. I am escaping to Gold Coast, where I can enjoy the sun and the sandy beaches all day long without being bothered by anyone.

Also, I thought->was thinking about one of my childhood dreams - to go ... I could fulfill one of my childhood dreams and go on a whale watch. Besides, I have always wanted to dive in a pool with sharks. ->Я бы объединил оба этих предложения с and I have heard that you can do that at the Sea World, ->А здесь бы разделил so maybe we will do that together knowing you thrill for adventure.

Well, as you cans see, I have big plans but not a place to stay yet. I would really appreciate if you could help me find a nice studio apartment or even a room in a hostel will do just fine->will be fine. Nothing too fancy, but it would be nice to have a clean place with some sort of ->a kitchen and, most importantly, not too far from the beach.

Last, but not least, I have already booked my ticket and will be arriving in 3 weeks.->will arrive within next 3 weeks I plan to spend about 7 days in Gold Coast, so I hope we will have plenty of time to catch up on all the gossip.

->Поскольку помощь еще не оказана, а только ожидается, что ее окажут, я бы написал Thanks a lot in anticipation of your help with the accommodation. Хотя кто-то может сказать, что слишком вычурно для неформального письма

Big hugs and take care,
                      Last edited by Lesha; 01.09.2009, 20:57.

Comment

• One more essay
                        Topic: mass-media and its influence on our conscious, bla, bla, bla.

There is no doubt that TV, radio and print media are increasingly becoming the main instrument shaping peoples ideas worldwide. People switch on the TV or radio to find out the latest news, to see what is happening around the world or just to be entertained. Thus, I do believe that mass-media as a far-reaching machine have a great influence on the decisions people make everyday (be it what they think, what they buy or even the music they listen to).

Firstly, mass-media has a tremendous audience. Over 6 billion people turning on their TV’s or radios to find out about their countries political life, financial situation on markets (are markets going up or down and how it reflects on peoples incomes), unemployment, as well as current affairs. Also, nowadays mass-media is abundant in shows about fashion and music, thus dictating what people listen to and what they wear.

However, let us not forget the less positive aspects of mass-media, such as the ever-present advertising of junk-food and different criminal shows. For example, children are especially sensitive to fast-food advertising and choose mainly what they see on TV. Therefore, even if it is a less healthy option that is what they will choose when they go out next time. As for the criminal shows, increasingly more people fear that there is too much violence and aggressiveness to which viewers of all ages are exposed.

Undeniably mass-media does influence the decisions and choices people make. However, when all is said and done, it is up to us to either keep on watching or to switch off the TV and decide whether we want to accept what is broadcast as a given fact or whether we want to analyze it and come to our own conclusions.

Comment

One more essay
                          Topic: mass-media and its influence on our conscious, bla, bla, bla.

There is no doubt that TV, radio and print media are increasingly becoming ....
                          Если бы не bla, bla, bla, то я бы проверила

P.S. Вы, по-моему уже пару раз использовали слово
                          сritique. Очень режет глаза (sorry!): должно быть - feedback

Comment

• To Mami-Matilda: Critique ето не мое

А вот и topic без бла, бла, бла

Topic: The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people’s ideas. To what extent do you agree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer.

Comment

А вот и topic без бла, бла, бла

Topic: The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people’s ideas. To what extent do you agree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer.
                              уже поздно - придется завтра. Но сразу же становится заметна серьезная ошибка в написании эсее: Вы повторяете в Introduction слова из темы, и даже в такой же форме.

The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people’s ideas
                              Второе, у Вас достаточно много 'клише', не несущих никакого смысла. Например в этом тексте это: when all is said and done

И последнее на сегодня. Не уверена, что слово instrument Вы употребили в том значении, котором хотели. Тут надо либо tool, либо instrument in shaping (I prefer the latter)

нет не последнее Еще одно 'на ночь глядя'. Зачем Вы столько раз слово influence употребляете? Составляйте список синонимов и других вариантов.

Все, спокойной ночи

Comment

• Уважаемые форумчане,

Прошу вашего справедливого товарищеского суда над еще одним результатом потока сознания, излитого на бумагу. Я постарался учесть все ваши ценные замечания, большое спасибо Павлу и его нэйтив спикеру(спикерше ). 327 слов - это тихий ужас, мне надо научиться писать меньше

Буду очень благодарен за ваше время и ваши комментарии.

TOPIC: Discuss the problems of unemployment and offer possible solutions.

Essay:
                                Today, due to the negative influence of the world wide crisis, unemployment turned out to be not only a term from a book on economics, but also a severe reality. Many people have lost their jobs and, as a consequence, standards of living are going down, while crime rates and social tension levels are on the rise. This essay will take a closer look at the problems of unemployment and focus on some possible ways to combat the situation.

To start with, it is clear that unemployment is followed by a list of negative challenges that our society has to face. Needless to say that loss of a stable income source should be a very stressful situation for anyone, and when the number of jobless people reaches a certain point, social tension increase. If no serious measures were taken at this point, this would result in various acts of social disorder, like aggressive demonstrations and riots, which would be a perfect situation for a crime spread. Thus, it is clear that the government will have to face with a lot of different problems, caused by unemployment.

However, the situation could be improved, if serious attempts were made to alleviate the negative factors. For instance, one way to deal with the problem of social tension would be to subsidize a range of most important industries or create other incentives to revive business activity. Furthermore, it would be a good idea if government invested into construction on new educational centers, so that the jobless people could improve or change their qualifications. As a result, all these measures would help to deal with the problems of unemployment.

To sum up, it is clear that unemployment is a big challenge to the society, however there are several measures that could be taken to improve the situation. If government and individuals alike were to help, it would make the period of world wide crisis a time to look forward, rather than dread.

Большое спасибо.

Comment

Working...
                                X