Объявление

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My essay, проверьте, покритикуйте! Спасибо!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Время
  • Show
Clear All

• В ближ. неделю смогу проверить 2-3 эссе / task 1.

Прежде, чем присылать, ознакомьтесь, пожалуйста, с моими условиями:

Part A:
    1. The higher the level the better but if your IELTS is yet under 6.5, my comments will be pretty much useless.

2. Do not send me an essay if you don't know what an essay is.

3. The essay must be sent to my personal messages. I respond via personal messages as well. This means you need at least 10 forum postings to activate your PM.

4. Please indicate your target score and whether this is General or Academic IELTS. The latter is preferable but not exclusive.

5. If I come across a comma before 'however / therefore', or a sentence starting with 'and / but' I won't read any further.

6. I will not check any essays where topics are 'borrowed' from unreliable sources.

7. Before sending me your essay, proof read it!

Part B:
    Eсли вы ждете, что я вас буду хвалить и гладить по головке, то лучше не присылать.
    Если вы чувствительны к критике и у вас нежная душа, то лучше не присылать.
    Если вы уверены, что ваш английский очень хороший, а IELTS - это все происки империализма и его цель не пустить в Австралию русских/российских/украинских и т.д. иммигрантов, то лучше не присылать.

I don't want to be responsible for your nervous breakdown
    Last edited by Maimiti_Isabella; 07.02.2018, 21:58.

Comment

• Друзья, всем привет!) я тут новичок! Пожалуйста проверьте моё описание графика! и напишите свои комментарии, буду вам очень признательна!
      К сожалению не получается загрузить картинку....но в целом по грамматике объясните что не так...

Given are three charts representing whole year expenses of the UK school during three decades 1981, 1991 and 2001.
      Overall, it can be seen that worker’s salaries expenditure stood on the top of list for all given years, despite a slightly drop of other staff salary, whereas, insurance formed the smallest part of the total expenses.
      Firstly, teacher’s salary accounted for 40% in 1981, after a rising slowly to a half of the total in 1991 there was a decrease till 45% in 2001; however, in general it still saw an upward tendency. Regarding other workers salary, there was a quite significant fall during the given period, approximately in two times from 28% to 15% in 2001.
      Secondly, furniture and equipment expenses witnessed some fluctuations for all three periods, it started on 15% and followed by a moderate drop to 5% in 1991, reaching a 23% in 2001. In comparison, education resources also stood at 15% in 1981, then it contributed one fifth of the total expenditure in 1991 and saw decrease up to 9% in 2001.
      The smallest point of all expenses is insurance, which rise moderately from 2% to just beneath one tenth (8%).

(196 words)

Comment

• Сообщение от ВасилисаРегини Посмотреть сообщение
        Друзья, всем привет!) я тут новичок! Пожалуйста проверьте моё описание графика! и напишите свои комментарии, буду вам очень признательна!
        К сожалению не получается загрузить картинку....но в целом по грамматике объясните что не так...

Given are three charts representing whole year expenses of the UK school during three decades 1981, 1991 and 2001.
        Overall, it can be seen that worker’s salaries expenditure stood on the top of list for all given years, despite a slightly drop of other staff salary, whereas, insurance formed the smallest part of the total expenses.
        Firstly, teacher’s salary accounted for 40% in 1981, after a rising slowly to a half of the total in 1991 there was a decrease till 45% in 2001; however, in general it still saw an upward tendency. Regarding other workers salary, there was a quite significant fall during the given period, approximately in two times from 28% to 15% in 2001.
        Secondly, furniture and equipment expenses witnessed some fluctuations for all three periods, it started on 15% and followed by a moderate drop to 5% in 1991, reaching a 23% in 2001. In comparison, education resources also stood at 15% in 1981, then it contributed one fifth of the total expenditure in 1991 and saw decrease up to 9% in 2001.
        The smallest point of all expenses is insurance, which rise moderately from 2% to just beneath one tenth (8%).

(196 words)
        Попробуйте начать с изучения английского. Это все, что я могу сказать на данном этапе. Хотя, если вам 5.5 достаточно, то можно на этом и успокоиться.

Comment

• ЧТО ВСЁ НАСТОЛЬКО ПЛОХО???!?!!!

Comment

• Сообщение от ВасилисаРегини Посмотреть сообщение
            ЧТО ВСЁ НАСТОЛЬКО ПЛОХО???!?!!!
            Еще раз, если 5.5 предел Ваших мечтаний - то все очень даже хорошо. Если хотите больше - учите английский.

Comment

• Сдаю IELTS general, нужно 7, предыдущая попытка была 5.5. Личные сообщения пока писать не могу. Покритикуйте, пожалуйста.

In some countries, a few people earn extremely high salaries. Some people think this is good for the country, while others believe that the government should control salaries and limit the amount people earn. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Some people think that paying exceedingly huge salaries on a rare occasion is good for their country, although others believe that authorities must draw a line and set the maximum size of an individual’s income. I will discuss both points of view in depth and express my own opinion on this subject.
              The obvious benefit of high wages is high taxes, which allows the government to spend more money on infrastructure, healthcare, and social services. In addition, it provides an opportunity to earn more, motivates people to perform better and enhances overall productivity. On the contrary, the ability to pay unlimited salaries allows local companies to compete for unique masterminds from all over the world. As a result, these aspects increase the economic growth and welfare of individuals.
              On the other hand, the vast difference in income raises social instability and crime rates. Failure to make big money makes people angry and jealous, some of them could commit illegal actions to earn more. Another problem is tax evasion. For example, a few famous football players were prosecuted for such offenses in Spain last year. Limitation of wages would reduce such problems, and, in accordance with recent research, even raise the index of happiness. Indeed, people with similar incomes are more likely to have common goals, achievements, and problems.
              To my mind, a progressive tax system could help reduce the earnings gap and maintain competitiveness on the labor market. Almost all developed countries have already incorporated this approach. Although authorities could change some aspects, the general idea, that rich citizens pay more, remains the same.
              To conclude, both sides of the argument have their benefits and drawbacks, and the government has to find the right balance between them by adopting a suitable tax system.
              Last edited by Улитка; 26.02.2018, 19:43.

Comment

• Сообщение от Улитка Посмотреть сообщение
                Сдаю IELTS general, нужно 7, предыдущая попытка была 5.5. Личные сообщения пока писать не могу. Покритикуйте, пожалуйста.

In some countries, a few people earn extremely high salaries. Some people think this is good for the country, while others believe that the government should control salaries and limit the amount people earn. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Это эссе явно выше, чем на 5.5. Но идущим на 7-ку путать значение
                a few vs. few непростительно

Четкого ответа на поставленный вопрос (your opinion) я не увидела.
                Last edited by Maimiti_Isabella; 27.02.2018, 22:28.

Comment

• Улитка, let me try to express my own opinion in English, and thus train my language as well.

It is given for you that some countries have a group of people with indecent salaries. The question is if a government should limit excessive wages. You should provide some pros and cons, indicate your position ("pro" or "con"). If you are "pro", you should prove that "cons" are negligible and vice versa.

This question doesn't arise any poverty issues or anything related to an inability to gain high wages for ordinary employees. Furthemore, the question may have nothing common with difference between low and high income.

The obvious benefit of high wages is high taxes
                  Strictly speaking it is not obvious, since we are arguing about some group of people with unknown number of members. They may be extremeley valuable on the market, but represent a minor piece of that pie in absolute values. In that way you should give a little proof of your argument.

the vast difference in income raises social instability and crime rates
                  The question may not be about this difference, as I mentioned before.

I'll try to structure your essay.

Theme: Extremely high salaries, good or evil?

Pros:
                  "high wages is high taxes, "
                  "an opportunity to earn more, motivates people"
                  "allows local companies to compete for unique masterminds"
                  "increase the economic growth"

Cons:
                  " raises social instability and crime rates."
                  "makes people angry and jealous"
                  "tax evasion"

Your opinion:
                  "a progressive tax system could help reduce the earnings gap..."

I think this is not a propper answer. It's better to say that it is not necessary for a government to limit wages, but it must imply progressive tax system that will mitigate negative aspects of extremely high salaries.

I can propose other arguments. I really don't understand what's the problem with extremely high salaries, so I can't even guess what some people think about that. I may think this is all about envy. However, I should use my fantasy and suggest the question has many important moral aspects.

For example, high salary of a CEO may decrease motivation of workers and lead to dissatisfaction of their own lifes. Someone may find the final level in their career unreachable. In contrast, another one may look at this enthusiastically and imagine unlimited opportunities for everyone. I should provide some examples, though. I think I don't need to provide verifiable facts in my essay, so it'll be sufficient to swich on my fantasy again. I can describe an imaginary colleague who was so motivated by boss's salary that got a CEO position very quickly.

Another possible issue is that highly paid jobs may warn about speculations on a labour market or be an indication of professional disproportions in industry. Thus, an unregulated salary system gives a good opportunity for a government to monitor labour market, avoid disparity and propose new methods to reach a new skills/professional balance.
                  Last edited by Simply John; 27.02.2018, 23:33.

Comment

• Maimiti_Isabella, Simply John как я понял, с task achievment провал, попробую исправить в следущем эссе, остальные компоненты ок?

Comment

Maimiti_Isabella, Simply John как я понял, с task achievment провал, попробую исправить в следущем эссе, остальные компоненты ок?
                      Что значит, ОК? Каким образом определяется окейность?

У вас много ошибок. У вас несколько нестыковок уже даже в первом предложении.

Вы уже разобрались с разницей между а few и few?

Теперь разберитесь с other и others.

salary vs. income

etc

Надеюсь, что английским вы занимаетесь не самостоятельно, а с учителем.

Comment

• Улитка
                        Maimiti_Isabella, Simply John как я понял, с task achievment провал, попробую исправить в следущем эссе, остальные компоненты ок?
                        Я сам далеко не эксперт по английскому, всё оценить просто не могу. Привёл только то что бросилось в глаза. Мешать income (доход) с salaries (зарплата) в начале, конечно, нехорошо, особенно когда формулируется задача эссе: "...authorities must ... set the maximum size of an individual’s income". Хотя можно было бы использовать где-то в середине или конце статьи как "такой вид дохода" (such income, that type of income и т.п.), поскольку уже понятно о чём речь.

Да и в бытовом смысле доход и зарплата -- одно и то же. Если коллега скажет "я в месяц/год зарабатываю/получаю/имею доход в xxxx рублей", я в последнюю очередь подумаю что он говорит про дивиденды с ценных бумаг или проценты по банковскому вкладу. Возможно, доход от индивидуального предпринимательства. Короче, если не злоупотреблять, то один-два раза употребить, с моей точки зрения, не будет таким злом.

Как будут оценивать экзаменаторы -- не знаю. В своём тексте я бы однозначно для определённости использовал salary или wage. В конце концов, payment made by an employer.

С other/others не вижу проблемы. Вы просто повторили местоимение в вопросе. Others означает "оставшиеся, остальные".

По поводу "few"/"a few". В вопросе "..a few people earn extremely high salaries". "a few" в данном случае -- это местоимение.
                        https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/few
                        1 (a few) A small number of.

Т.е. "некоторые люди получают чрезвычайно высокие зарплаты".
                        Если бы было "few people earn extremely high salaries", то перевод "немногие люди получают чрезвычайно высокие зарплаты".

Разница -- в оттенке. В первом случае примерно как "вот есть же люди, которые столько получают", а во втором "жуть как мало людей столько получают". Этот оттенок вроде и должен задать тон всему сочинению. Конечно, похоже на казуистику гуманитарных наук. А что делать..

Comment

• Сообщение от Maimiti_Isabella Посмотреть сообщение
                          Вы уже разобрались с разницей между а few и few?
                          да, спасибо, ценное замечание

Сообщение от Maimiti_Isabella Посмотреть сообщение
                          Теперь разберитесь с other и others.
                          именно про такие вещи и был вопрос

salary vs. income
                          разницу знаю, посчитал, что лучше употребить новое слово, чем повторять старое, но судя по тому, что Вы пишите, точность формулировок ценнее
                          Надеюсь, что английским вы занимаетесь не самостоятельно, а с учителем.
                          да, и это эссе он проверил, оценив на 7-7.5, а я засомневался и попросил альтернативное мнение

Пользуясь случаем, задам вопрос:
                          Какие учебники, материалы посоветуете, чтобы не было такие досадных провалов, как с few/a few? Конкретно по этому вопросу я ориентировался на объяснение с сайта dictionary.cambridge.org

Comment

Пользуясь случаем, задам вопрос:
                            Какие учебники, материалы посоветуете, чтобы не было такие досадных провалов, как с few/a few? Конкретно по этому вопросу я ориентировался на объяснение с сайта dictionary.cambridge.org
                            Я не знаю. Программу обучения и учебники должен выбрать ваш преподаватель - в зависимости от того, что ему/ей нравится и к чему душа лежит.

Kто вам дал эту тему с такой дурацкой формулировкой?

Comment

• Сообщение от Maimiti_Isabella Посмотреть сообщение
                              Kто вам дал эту тему с такой дурацкой формулировкой?
                              взял отсюда ieltsliz.com/ielts-writing-task-2-questions-january-2018

Comment

взял отсюда ieltsliz.com/ielts-writing-task-2-questions-january-2018
                                не поняла. Вам что, учитель не дает темы и не проверяет их wording? По какому принципу тогда подбираются темы?

И почему вы решили, что этот сайт достоин уважения, в смысле, что вы можете доверять всему, что там видите?
                                Last edited by Maimiti_Isabella; 01.03.2018, 20:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X